Schedule and Events



March 26-29, 2012, Software Test Professionals Conference, New Orleans
July, 14-15, 2012 - Test Coach Camp, San Jose, California
July, 16-18, 2012 - Conference for the Association for Software Testing (CAST 2012), San Jose, California
August 2012+ - At Liberty; available. Contact me by email: Matt.Heusser@gmail.com

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

At Liberty

My six-year-old daughter, Rachel, likes to go for walks in the woods. To be specific, she likes adventures. Given a choice between a nice, clean, well-maintained trail and the brush and brambles, she will pick the hardy woods every time. It seems that, to her, adventures must be hard, must be challenging. To her, In some way, it seems almost morally superior to take the hard path.

You probably guessed it by now. Socialtext had a restructuring and reduction in force. As of May 3rd, I will be at liberty to take on new assignments. I am open to different kinds of engagements, from contracting and consulting to yes, the possibility of full-time employment. (The best way to reach me is probably by email: matt.heusser@gmail.com)

I've spent the past three years working in West Michigan for a company based in the Bay Area. I believe we have proven the remote model, but I'm still open to travel for short-term contracts. Especially Chicago, Indianapolis, or Detroit, which I might consider for longer-term contracts.

It's been a great run at Socialtext. Three wonderful years. Those who know me well also know how much I value being consistent; the Matt Heusser you see in private is the same one you see in public. That means that the things I said in public were true. It was a great working environment, and wonderful team, and, perhaps most importantly, I was really proud to help make a good product people can actually use.

I didn't mind spending time on the clean, nice, well-maintained trail. Still, all the while, in the back of my mind, I was aware of a little bit of risk, and yes, it's happened -- time and circumstance have forced me on the brambles.

That's okay.

I suspect it's time for an adventure.

7 comments:

Shmuel Gershon said...

Matt, this is great news to your next employer.
Companies value and need the initiative and creativity you present!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Ever thought of Europe, Gibraltar in particular? We may not able to afford you but I'd be willing to give it a jolly good try.

Graham TerMarsch said...

Matt, having been cut by the same restructuring slice, I too am at liberty to look at new adventures.

Although we only had the opportunity to meet each other face to face once, I appreciated your insights and efforts on a weekly basis; you always had a way to put an unusual/interesting spin on things, or to ask the tough questions of "so how does it work when you do <this>?"

Wishing you all the best on your new adventures, wherever they may take you. Hopefully we'll have the opportunity to cross paths once again somewhere.

Justin Hunter said...

Matt,

I'm confident you'll wind up in a great position soon. You're too good a tester (and have too many fans in the testing community) not to.

I'll do some active searching and keep you posted about the opportunity I mentioned at the global bank that's increasing its testing headcount near us from 20 to 100 in the coming months.

Justin

Unknown said...

Would like to talk with you about potential opportunity in Cleveland OH area. Fortune 500 financial services company that appreciates context-driven testers. If interested, let me know how you prefer to be contacted.

Matthew said...

The best way to reach me is probably by email: Matt.Heusser@gmail.com