Schedule and Events



March 26-29, 2012, Software Test Professionals Conference, New Orleans
July, 14-15, 2012 - Test Coach Camp, San Jose, California
July, 16-18, 2012 - Conference for the Association for Software Testing (CAST 2012), San Jose, California
August 2012+ - At Liberty; available. Contact me by email: Matt.Heusser@gmail.com

Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Laws of Software Development

Gerald M. Weinberg has two books Secrets of Consulting and More Secrets of Consulting that have a number of guides, rules of thumb, advice, rubrics, and so on. I found these immensely helpful. At the same time I am reluctant to use the term 'law' (as in Newton's laws) - because 'law' implies that the idea is /always right/. Still, there are a few things I have seen enough times in a row to classify as dang strong bits of advice(*), and a "law of software testing" has a nice ring to it.

So, after years of doing test automation, after speaking at large conferences about it, consulting on it, running events and getting a broad and deep consensus from the community, Here is Heusser's last law of test automation:

"Despite all your automation awesomeness, with you automated build and build verification hooked into your CI and FITnesse and sellenium and automatic deploy and deployment-notification emails ... before you send those notification emails to that distribution list, you probably want to have a human being poke and it and make sure it's ok.

Just trust me on this one. Or don't; your call."


That's my last law. I suppose I should go find the first few. :-)


--heusser
(*) - Yes, I am a card-carrying member of the context-driven school of software testing (www.context-driven-testing.com) - so I am a part of a community the essentially censures the term "best practice." For nearly any "best practice", I can find examples where you might /not/ want to do it. And, when it comes to finding absolute things that are always true on every project, the few I can come up with are in the area of "brush your teeth and wear deodorant."

This latest bru-ha-ha on the intarwebs about context-driven could be better?

That's tomorrow's post, bub.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What if you don't have teeth? Instead you have dentures; you don't brush those typically. You soak them.

And what what if you are allergic to deodorant. Being smelly is preferable to rashy.

I most situations though, yes, those are good ideas, but /always/, no, not /always/.